Here are some more ideas for further exploration of The Bedroom as a place of Magick. I discussed some of the magickal aspects of the bedroom in a previous post, and have included a post with spells for Sex and one for a Mindfulness while making the bed. Let’s talk about Sleep!
Sleeping and Dreaming have long been associated with Magick. They continue to be mysterious to us, even with more and more scientific studies emerging about sleeping and dreaming. If you approach your time of sleep with an attitude of wonder, respect, and magick, it can increase the spirituality of this time for you. Here are some correspondences and associations that go along with sleep and dreaming;
Sleep Magickal Correspondences
Colors; Silver, Blue, Purple, Indigo, White
Plants/Herbs; Catnip, Celery seed, Chamomile, Elder, Fennel, Frankincense, Gardenia, Lavender, Mugwort, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Valerian
Gemstones; Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Calcite, Coral, Jade, Marcasite, Moonstone, Opal, Quartz, Sandstone, Selenite, Turquoise
Astrological Sign; Virgo
Day of the Week; Wednesday
Dreams Magickal Correspondences
Colors; White, Indigo, Purple, Lavender
Plants/Herbs; Basil, Bay Laurel, Copal, Frankincense, Gardenia, Horehound, Jasmine, Lavender, Mugwort, Myrrh, Nutmeg, Patchouli, Sage, Witch Grass, Wormwood
Gemstones; Amethyst, Calcite, carnelian, Emerald, Jade, Mica, Moonstone, Selenite, Turquoise, Ulexite
Astrological Sign; Pisces
Day of the Week; Thursday
Colors; Silver, Purple, White, Black
Plants; Bay, Benzoin, Frankincense, Mugwort, Myrrh, Nutmeg, Sage, Skullcap, Vervain
Gemstones; Amethyst, Aquamarine, Calcite, Diamond, Ulexite
Astrological Sign; Scorpio
Day of the Week; Tuesday
Make a Dream Pillow or a Sleep Pillow
Using the correspondences above, you can make a Sleep Pillow or a Dream pillow. Get some cloth of the corresponding color for what you want (you may want to make one for helping you fall asleep, or you may want to make one for helping you remember your dreams or for promoting Lucid Dreaming or Astral Travel.) Cut two six-inch squares of the fabric and sew them together, leaving one side open to add the stuffing. Fill half full with cotton batting or your fiber of choice. Then add dried herbs of your choice from the corresponding list above. You may also wish to tuck a gemstone or two from the list as well. You can write a simple prayer or the word “Sleep” or “dream” on a small piece of paper and put that in the pillow as well. Sew it shut after it is filled, visualizing your intent and the energy of sleeping or dreaming flowing into the pillow. You may wish to place a couple drops of corresponding essential oil on the pillow. For added effect, create your pillow on the day of the week associated with your intention, or when the moon is in the corresponding astrological sign. You may also choose to bless or consecrate your pillow as you see fit. Keep the pillow on your bed and sleep with it at night. You can also make one for children for helping them sleep or for promoting peaceful dreams.
Some recipes for Herb Pillows –
- For prophetic dreams stuff with dried mugwort and nutmeg and use frankincense oil. If you are sensitive or have many personal problems you may not want to sleep with this pillow often as it can bring about very intense dreams.
- For headache relief or to guard against nightmares; 1 oz. lavender flowers, 1/2 oz. verbena, 1/2 oz. lemon balm, 1/2 oz rosemary
- Men’s sleep pillow; 1 oz. lemon verbena, 1 oz. lavender flowers, a pinch each of thyme and mint
- Cherokee Dream Pillow
The following mixture is said to bring prophetic dreams. Use dried herbs & flowers. 2 oz. lavender flowers, 2 oz. sage, 1 oz. ground orris root, 2 oz. deer tongue herb, 1 oz. cedar shavings, 2 oz. coltsfoot herb, 2 oz. sweet fern, 1 oz. violet flowers
Blessing Your Sheets To Promote Sleep
On a Wednesday or when the Moon is in Virgo, wash your sheets. When you’re ready to put them in the washer place a couple tea bags of chamomile tea in a clean sock with some dried lavender or drops of lavender oil. Tie the sock closed or secure it with a string. Place it in the Washer with your sheets and say;
“Chamomile, Lavender work as a balm; Bring to my bed Peace and Calm!”
You can place the herb-filled sock in the dryer with the sheets also, and repeat the prayer.
Tea for Clairvoyant Dreams
You may want to drink this tea to accompany your Dream Pillow.
1 tsp. chamomile
1 tsp. mugwort
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary
Tea For Peaceful Sleep
You may want to drink this tea to accompany your sleep pillow, or any night right before bed.
equal parts (about 1 tsp. each)
peppermint, chamomile, catnip, valerian, skullcap, passionflower, strawberry leaf
If you are having trouble falling asleep, you can repeat this prayer at bedtime or as you lay in bed
“Sleep Come Easy
Sleep Come Fast
Sleep Come Tonight
and Through The Night Last”
Some Tips For Getting a Good Night’s Sleep
If you have trouble sleeping, falling asleep, or experience insomnia, here are some tips to help.
- Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening. Also avoid foods with added sugar. Drink a calming, relaxing tea such as chamomile or passionflower.
- Have a clean, tidy bedroom. The energy in the room will be much more peaceful and help promote sleep if the space is free of clutter. Also having your kitchen sink clean and empty before bed is said to help promote sleep.
- If the “things I need to do tomorrow” keep you awake, make a list of things you need to do before you go to bed. Having a list will help ease your mind and you won’t be so worried about forgetting these things.
- Take a walk, do yoga, stretch or do some Tai Ji before bed. Peaceful movement will help bring your body to a more relaxed peaceful state.
- Meditation. Meditate for 10 to 15 minutes before bed. With or without music, just dedicate some time to peacefully sitting in silence. Focus on your breathing and relaxing your body. The more you practice this the easier it will become.
- Go to bed at the same time every night. This helps your body establish a set sleep schedule.
- Have a routine. If you practice some or all of the above tips consistently before bed, then when you do them you’re sending the message to your mind and body that it is time for sleep. If they don’t help the first few nights, keep going and be persistent and consistent. Eventually when you have established a routine and keep a regular bedtime, you should have a much easier time falling asleep.
Spell; Invoke The Great Mother Goddess for Wisdom
A blue or purple candle in a fireproof holder
Essential oil of Lotus (or Jasmine or Myrrh)
A small statue of an Owl (or a picture of an owl)
A journal and pen
A deck of tarot cards or a set of runes
optional; a dream pillow made with the correspondences above and cup of dream-promoting tea
Anoint the candle with the essential oil and place it in the candle holder. Place the owl next to the candle and your deck of cards or set of runes on the other side of the candle. Cast your circle or set the boundaries as you wish. Call upon any Mother Goddess of Wisdom that you choose, (Isis, Hera, Athene, Frejya, etc) or simply call the Great Mother Goddess. Meditate and simply talk with the Goddess awhile about why you seek wisdom and for what areas of your life you are seeking wisdom. Write down in your journal these intentions and desires.
Light the candle and say;
“Wise Mother, great counselor,
Teach me waking and sleeping.
Send me omens true and dreams wise.
Instruct me in your great wisdom.
I open my heart and mind to you, Wise Mother.
I ask for your all-knowing counsel and guidance
that Wisdom may come to me quickly!”
Lay out three tarot cards or runes in front of the candle and owl. Write down any impressions, thoughts, and feelings that you receive while studying the cards. When you are finished journaling your thoughts on your reading say;
“Grant me skills of Clarity and Wisdom.
Great Mother, make me wise.
You who are both skillful and strong,
guide my steps, keep me from wrong.”
If you are including a Dream Tea in your ritual, drink it now. When you are done, extinguish the candle. Place the tarot cards or runes in a cloth bag and sleep with them under your pillow. When you wake up, immediately write down anything you remember from your dreams. Even if you don’t understand what the images meant. You may choose to draw one tarot card or rune each day, and continue to journal your readings and your dreams for as long as you want. You may light the candle and repeat the prayer each night before bed for as long as you like or until you feel like you have received the insight you are looking for.
Natural Magick by Sally Dubats, The Magical Household by Scott Cunningham & David Harrington, Moon Magick by D.J. Conway, Mrs. B’s Guide To Household Witchery by Kris Bradley